Thursday, June 26, 2008

MMMMM.....Indian!

Anyone who knows me well, knows that my favorite food in the world is Indian! I could eat it everyday! In fact, I try to convince Calvin that we should just move to India, but I guess he doesnt feel the love of a food should cause us to move half way around the globe :-)
So, now that Im cooking more, I getting more courage to try different recipes. And thanks to great sites like allrecipes.com, I can read reviews first, to aviod potential disaster recipes. They are prooving to be a great help in avoiding waste of time, money and energy. So, all you recipe websites, my hats off to you!!


Here is the naan. I changed around the recipe a little, so I will post 'my' version here. Keep in mind, this bread gets a bit tough after a day or so. Its better to eat right away or soon after. Well, this was Calvins critic, the kids didnt have one, they loved it!
INGREDIENTS
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons salt
4 1/2 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional)
1/4 cup butter, melted
DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour or more, until the dough has doubled in volume.
Punch down dough, and knead in garlic. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball. Roll into balls, and place on a tray. Cover with a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 500*f, with pizza stone, or any large stone inside oven.
Roll dough into flat circle, brush with butter on each side.
Place dough in oven, on HOT stone for 3-4 minutes. Its ready when you start to see dark brown spots on top side of bread.
Enjoy!!!


This chicken recipe is not stage 1, but will be soon :-) I made it last night, to see how it tasted, next I will be switching out ingredients, until I get the right mixture for Hannah to have! But Ive gotta say, it was really good!
Heres the recipe:
http://www.recipezaar.com/88578

This last recipe I have made three times, it is stage 1, but I keep forgetting to take a photo of it :-( I will add one soon, because I know I will be making it again, and likely soon! It is really good. There is a trick though, and I need to figure it out, as to getting it the right creamy consistency. All the kids loved it! I got this from the feingold recipe board, under Cindys Recipes, so Thanks Cindy!
Indian Spice Chicken
1 stick butter
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into strips
1 T. cumin
1 T. turmeric
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 c. chicken stock or water
1/2 c. sour cream

Saute chicken strips in butter until browned. Add cumin, turmeric and garlic; stir and saute for a couple of minutes. Add stock or water and bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sour cream and heat through (do not boil). Good with brown rice

1 comment:

mollysaid said...

oh I looooove naan! I am drooling now.