Wednesday, June 11, 2008

A Good Home.....Person.....Thing

Thats what my sweet husband called me last night. ;-) He wasnt sure what the politically correct term is. I think Im pretty okay with being called a Home Maker, because that is what I am. I see no offence, I dont need to be called a domestic something or other.

Canning my Un-tomato sauce

So, his praises were for chicken slow cooked in a crock put with 'faux' spaghetti sauce (made from beets and carrots), because with the Feingold diet we are avoiding tomatoes and served over pasta with fresh grated Parmesan cheese. The 100% homemade pizza the night before was great also, but very time consuming. What pushed me to make this un-tomato sauce was Meya making the comment "We never get to have pizza anymore because of Hannah". Ouch, not how I want the kids to feel! And surely this diet is not torture by any means, you have got to taste the fruit dip we topped our bananas with! YUM! I passed up ice cream last night for it. Okay, its REALLY high in calories, but chemical free!
Here is the recipe:
Caramel Fruit Dip:
8 oz. cream cheese
3/4 C. brown sugar
1/4 C. white sugar
1 tsp. REAL vanilla, (imitation is deadly!!)
Then mix until smooth, YUM!

And here is the Un-tomato Sauce:
1 1-pound can beets, drained (or one pound fresh)
2 1-pound cans carrots, drained (or 2lb fresh or frozen)
2 Tbls. Lemon juice
1 C. Water
1 T. salt
2-3 T. Oregano
1.5 T. Garlic powder
2-3 T. Basil
2 t. sugar
Puree completely in food processor, extra long- to avoid any small beet chunks. Let set for several hours or overnight in refrigerator for flavors to blend.

No comments: