Monday, July 21, 2008

Milling Whole Grain Wheat into Flour!


I was told, and researched to confirm, that wheat actually contains good amounts of protein and fiber! I had no idea! BUT, the trick is that it must be consumed within 72 hours of being milled into flour, after that point 80% of its nutrients are lost. I dont have a flour mill, or $300-$700 laying around to go get one. So, I used my vintage garage sale blender, and it worked great! I put the grain in, about a half cup at a time for 5-8 minutes. (I didnt time it). Basically, until it looked like flour :-) Then I sifted it, and put the larger pieces back in the blender.
I baked a loaf of bread yesterday, using 2c ww flour and 1.5 c all purpose flour and it turned out great. Not as airy as white bread, but I expected that. Im setting a goal for now, of cooking with at least 50% fresh milled ww flour.
Where I messed up this time, was that I milled my whole 2 pound bag. So, we will be eating ALOT of wheat in the next 2-3 days! I want to use it while it contains the "good stuff". In the future, I will grab the blender and do what I need for the next two days.
I ran out of milk last night, so for breakfast we couldnt do ww pancakes, but we will tomorrow. Once I can get to the store. Here is the recipe I plan to try first:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Grain-and-Nut-Whole-Wheat-Pancakes/Detail.aspx
Minus the nuts.
Oatmeal is also a great source of fiber and nutrients!

No comments: